We have started planning our annual conference, Lightup Impact Days 2023, and are excited to invite founders of our member organizations to help us maximize the event’s impact.
Lightup Impact Days is a two-day conference that brings together members of the Lightup Impact Community and relevant stakeholders working with grassroots organizations in gender and health in East Africa. The event will take place in September and is geared toward knowledge sharing, networking, relationship building, and exploring collaborations. This year, we are once again meeting in person in Nairobi, Kenya.
At Lightup Impact, we strive to involve our founders in the decision-making surrounding the development of suitable solutions to community challenges. So, it feels natural and necessary that we include their perspectives on key decisions for this year’s conference, such as the theme, format, speakers, agenda, moderators, and more!
Last year’s event was a huge success that we want to build on for this year. Read more about Lightup Impact Days 2022 here.
About the founder committee
The committee will consist of eight founders from our Lightup Impact member organizations to ensure our community is well represented and their voices and wishes are heard throughout the planning, execution, and wrap-up of the event. We are looking for two candidates each from Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, and Tanzania to be involved from the day the candidates are selected until the post-event duties end. Every year a new committee with different Lightup Impact Community members will be formed.
Roles and responsibilities of the committee
At Lightup Impact, we highly value input from our members to co-create suitable solutions for our community. As part of the founder committee, you will have the exciting opportunity to represent your peers and work closely with the Lightup Impact team, particularly over the five months leading up to the event (starting in May 2023), but also throughout and following the event.
You will be expected to:
- commit to a 1.5-hour online meeting every two weeks with the Lightup Impact team;
- take part in our community meetups and interact with the community (through community channels or online meetings);
- share perspectives unique to the community you represent;
- actively engage your networks and connections;
- moderate some of the event sessions; and
- take up some ad-hoc roles (e.g. coordination of interactive sessions, registration desk, and/or others).
What’s in it for you?
Besides the unique opportunity to help us host an event tailored to your community’s interests and goals, you will:
- have your event attendance sponsored, covering accommodation and transportation costs;
- have your contributions promoted on our website and social media channels;
- receive a certificate of your participation as a member of the committee;
- receive a branded Lightup Impact t-shirt; and
- have the opportunity to collaborate with other funders and the Lightup Impact team toward one of our biggest milestones for 2023!
The application and selection process
The application consists of a few personal and administrative questions, followed by a short written statement of your capabilities and motivation to be a part of planning Lightup Impact Days 2023. Sixteen suitable candidates will be shortlisted based on their experience, expertise, and passion for the project; and the final eight committee members will be voted in by our Lightup Impact Community.
The deadline for submitting your application is 9 May 2023.
We look forward to reading your application!
Best of luck,
The Lightup Impact team
Join our founder committee!
Author: Valeria Santoro