We are seeking a skilled and enthusiastic Communications Officer to join our team and help us empower grassroots organizations in East Africa to increase their impact and become sustainable.
About Lightup Impact
Lightup Impact is an online community of over 100 early-stage grassroots organizations in gender and health in East Africa. We empower our grassroots members through peer-to-peer support, networking,
trust-based partnerships, skills and capacity development, guidance, and governance to amplify their impact. As we apply a bottom-up approach to development, we co-create and co-implement solutions together with our community of founders. We offer a collaborative, international work environment, professional growth opportunities, and the chance to make a difference through your work.
- Coordinate our website, event, and donor communications
- Update our website content on a regular basis
- Manage customer relationships with donors, community members, partners, and other stakeholders via emails or distribution of digital communication assets (articles, reports, web features, newsletters)
- Manage and regularly update our customer relationship management (CRM) system on Hubspot
- Coordinate workshops on capacity building and skills development for grassroots organizations in East Africa
- Coordinate and create content for the Lightup Impact blog (writing, editing, and soliciting articles) and event page
- Coordinate and create a communications and marketing strategy for our annual conference
- Coordinate the design and publishing of communications materials aimed at our donors, partners, and the general public (e.g. annual reports, policies, and impact reports)
- Travel up to 4 days/month to lead workshops or document visits with non-governmental organizations in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, and/or Tanzania
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Communications, International Development, Gender Studies, or related fields
- At least 1 year of demonstrable experience in an editorial, journalism, or content creation and coordination role
- Understanding of effective website communication practices
- Ability to repurpose technical content to a broader audience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledgeable about the potential and value of storytelling in communications
- Experience with content management systems (e.g. WordPress) and CRM software (e.g. Hubspot)
- Excellent project- and time-management skills with the ability to meet deadlines and prioritize while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- Work confidently in a cross-functional role with a global team
- Work well in conjunction with the ever-changing conditions of our young organization
- Commit to and follow Lightup Impact’s vision and values: empathic leadership, collaboration over competition, courage and a can-do attitude, and passion for social impact
How to apply
If you are passionate about effective communication, have a knack for storytelling, and are eager to make a difference, we would love to hear from you.
Please send us your CV, cover letter, and other supportive documents (e.g.portfolio) to: email@example.com. You have until 8 June to send your application. Candidates will be notified about the outcome within 2 weeks from the application deadline.
The hiring process is detailed below. Please note that candidates will be required to complete a content development assignment during or after the second interview. More information will be provided to those candidates who reach this stage of the hiring process.
P.S. We do not expect you to meet 100% of the job description. If you meet 80% of the requirements, we kindly ask you to apply for this position.
At Lightup Impact, we are proud to foster a welcoming and diverse working environment.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with the hiring manager Valeria Santoro: LinkedIn or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your application!
The Lightup Impact team
Author: Valeria Santoro, Lightup Impact